Saturday, March 9, 2013

still got it

Matt and I are visiting my parents in Augusta this weekend. This morning my mom introduced me to the wonder that is Ulta...I must say...Sephora, you may be taking a back seat in my heart. Ulta is even bigger and has better prices. I was in hog heaven for well over an hour, and my wallet was noticeably lighter upon leaving, so...yay?

We spent a few hours doing some other shopping, but after we came home, I decided Matt and I needed to get some exercise and enjoy the weather. We went on a jog/walk around my neighborhood and I pointed out all of the important landmarks: where my friends lived, where cute boys lived, which houses gave out the best Halloween candy...you know, the things that are important to know about your spouse's childhood neighborhood. It was good times. Upon arriving back home and heading to the back yard where my dad was grilling, I decided to continue the themes of exercise and childhood memories and do what I spent most of my childhood doing: gymnastics in the backyard.

First I wow-ed Matt with my handstand and round-off. Easy. Child's play. Then I decided to try out a few of my more impressive moves. They weren't particularly impressive back when I was 10 (and 10 feet taller than all the other 10 year olds...and let's face it, added height is a huge disadvantage when it comes to tumbling. Ever see a 5'7 Olympic gymnast? Don't answer that if you have), but I figured if I could still do them as a not-particularly-in-shape 30-year-old, I could consider it quite an accomplishment.

After successfully completing these stunts a few times each, I decided it would be best if we videod me doing them for posterity. For proof that even at age 30...I've still got it.

Please behold, if you will, my Amazing Feats of Athleticism.

Erika Does a Backbend:


Erika Does the Splits:

You can trust that I'll be walking with my head held a little higher the rest of this day. If, that is, I can walk at all.

19 comments:

  1. I love ULTA. And your sweet gymnastics moves are pretty good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I am seriously impressed with the splits in particular... I don't think I've ever been able to do the splits. Although admittedly it would be funny to watch me try right about now. Maybe I'll attempt it and video it for your viewing pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg - I love you. That's all. Oh and my legs hurt just from watching you do a split!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, wow, you are so confident in yourself. I can 100% guarantee that the last thing you will ever see on my blog is a video of me doing ANYTHING in hot yoga pants.
    Let me just say, you DO STILL HAVE IT GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive!!!

    You are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I couldn't even do a handstand or a round off when I was a kid, let alone now. And the back bend and splits are completely impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, you are like freaking Gumby or something! Please update us tomorrow to let us know if you are at least sore...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're one super flexible 30 year old! I would have recorded that too!
    I'm off to check out this Ulta thing you speak of :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ulta = heaven.

    Nice skills!! I can't even do a cartwheel. No lie. I was always that uncoordinated kid in gymnastics class whose parents finally decided that "gymnastics wasn't my strength." :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Consider me impressed. There has never been a day in my life when I could do either of those things.

    Also, did you know that we're getting our very own Ulta in the new shopping center on Epps?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow my friend. I was a dancer for 15 years and unfortunately can't do the splits anymore. :( Never learned how to do a backbend so I'm super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Ulta is amazing. That's where I shop for all my makeup and beauty products. They also have a pretty sweet rewards system, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy smokes!! I played extremely LIGHT basketball with some middle schoolers on Friday and I am like OUT OF COMMISSION. No backbends or splits here!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too discovered ULTA while in Augusta. I was all prepared to blow your mind with the fact that ULTA is coming to Athens, but somebody beat me too it. Get ready to be broke.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed! I'm a rock climber but if I tried a back bend or the splits...well...it wouldn't be pretty! I think I'll stick to rock climbing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ulta is totally my jam. :-) Way to go on the feats of wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. umm...so impressed. ha...after reading this I immediately tried to do a back bend and a split. Granted, I always had to work hard for a split and never quite really had one. Still got the back bend,but it made me all dizzy feeling. The split isn't even close. oy vey. I'm just gonna assume I can't do a handstand. I'm afraid to try but I'm pretty confident I could handle a round off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm very impressed. Way to go! I force myself to do one back handspring every year just to prove I can still do it. I'm terrified beforehand and usually in pain afterwards, but it's so worth it. Like you said, there's something really nice about knowing you've still got it. And girl, you definitely do. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Lord--Mom and I get in SO much trouble in Ulta. Make sure you get their free membership card and get the magazine with coupons!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.