Sunday, August 23, 2015

ordinary life, hurricane dreams

Well, well, well. Long time no chat. I have no exciting excuses, so we'll just move straight into the cute baby pictures and completely thrilling weekend updates, okay? 

I heard rompers were in style this fall? I approve.
 On Saturday we spent the day- wait for it- overhauling our garage!! We took everything out!! We cleaned! We vacuumed!! We organized!! We trashed and recycled and donated a crap-ton of stuff! We put it all back in, but more neatly!!

You are probably rightfully devastated that I don't have any before and after pictures. Seriously. It's basically HGTV-worthy, although we didn't really go crazy and do stuff like paint the floors or color coordinate bins and labels. Just a normal amount of awesome organization. Ooh and we mounted thingies to hold the bikes up on the walls, thus freeing up floor space for all of Millie's large outdoor toys and paraphernalia! Most importantly, we a) moved all toxic chemical products (fertilizers, insecticides, paint) up to high shelves, and b) we did not see any evidence of mama snakes or any other creepy creatures.  

Annnnd that's about all I have to say about my garage. You'll just have to take my word for it. It was pretty exciting. And insanely hot and sweaty and dirty and gross.

It was tiring, too. As tiring as this trip to Target.
When we're not busy doing mega-glamorous projects in the garage, we keep busy terrorizing playing with our animals.
Lola, I will read you this story about some ladybugs. THEY ALL FLY AWAY.

Aidan. Stop staring. Like you've never seen a topless lady in your yard before. Sheesh.

No, Mommy, I will not pose nicely in my adorable outfit for you. I MUST PET MY LOLA!!!!
In other news, did you hear that the next hurricane will be named Erika? It's like a dream come true. My hurricane will probably be forming in the next week or so, so I'll be watching with bated breath to see how I turn out. I'm pulling for something initially scary and intimidating that gets folks out of school and work, but then turning sharply out to sea and weakening before hitting any land, thereby avoiding any actual destruction. That way people will all be like thanks for the free day off, Erika! Wooo! and it will be really fun. These are the kinds of things I daydream about now, so yeah. It's pretty exciting to be me. (Also, please note that if Hurricane Erika ends up being remotely terrible, I will come back and delete all of this and act horrified at the idea of ever wanting to identify with a natural disaster. What kinda psycho would think that, anyway?)


So...like I said at the beginning, nothing much exciting is going on. Just normal, happy life. It's enough.

17 comments:

  1. I am CRACKING UP at Lola's face in that picture of Millie wanting to read to her. And your captions are perfect. So so funny!
    I had a hurricane with my name that came ON MY BIRTHDAY which I thought was so cool, but it didn't really do anything exciting. Anyways, I'm making those sweet potato tacos on Tuesday, and I'm practically counting down the hours til I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to clean/organize my garage. I feel like it's something I shouldn't be jealous of but kinda am. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, that picture of Lola seeming to cower in fear is great! And I respect your goals for "your" hurricane/tropical storm/whatever it ends up being - I promise to forget I ever read anything about those aspirations if the storm ends up being awful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to hire you to do ours now! I can't imagine taking everything out! Thank goodness for NO snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Millie's momma is rocking her fashion choices these days--rompers + chambray? Excellent. Did I share with you about the baby "lifestyle" website that I found? Way to go on the garage organizing! I keep doing massive clean up projects in the apartment then realize once its done and awesome that I didn't do before and afters...whomp whomp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get enough of Millie with a bow so please keep those coming! Also love the pun in this sentence: "My hurricane will probably be forming in the next week or so, so I'll be watching with BATED breath to see how I turn out."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had this thought, too. Well done, lady. Nicely played. Your wiliness did not go unnoticed, nor unappreciated. Now I'm done commenting on everyone else's comments. Glad all is well with you guys! :-)

      Delete
  7. Um, why is Matt wearing a JACKET in that Target picture? Did fall hit Georgia somehow? And if so...JEALOUS. And just when I think Millie can't get any cuter...nope, she does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I had the same thought as Allena about Matt's jacket!! I realize it rained a lot this weekend, and under some circumstances a rain jacket would be totally acceptable. But not in 90-degree Georgia heat with 1,000% humidity! Bless his heart...

      Also, ditto on the cuteness factor. Just when you think she can't get any cuter, she proves us all wrong once again!

      Delete
  8. so many things to note: 1. I want to see the after of your garage-thinking about that project just makes me tired. But we need to do the same thing! 2. We are already on E names for hurricanes?! How did I miss A-D? 3. Love the last picture of you three, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I've been a hurricane several times. Motivates me to change my FB picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Lola looks like she can't get far enough away, too funny!!! Although I can appreciate your enthusiasm for a hurricane in your name first you should look up Winnie, TX (where I live - 20 miles from the coast) and then understand why I can't quite be on board with you on this one. Really though we are used to it around here, I probably would be excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahaha! My aunts name is also Erika and after reading this I'm definitely going to text her to compare her to a hurricane. Thanks! As always Millie looks adorable. She looks so big now compared to my little guy. Glad u are extremely happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea! Here's to a normal happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to look adorable in a romper. That's all!
    Is Matt wearing a jacket in Georgia in August?! I'm confused!
    Bated breath...totally saw what you did there! Haha.
    Isn't a normal life lovely? Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just checking the weather (i'm way over in WA state) and the main page on the weather.com was all about hurricane Erika so I laughed and wanted to pop over here and say I was thinking of you. Let's hope it's not destructive but how cool that it has your name!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you and Matt want to clean out our garage? Millie could play in our sandbox and it would be a lot of fun. (Best incentive to come to Canada ever!)

    Millie's comment about "a topless lady in your yard" made me laugh. Hopefully she's referring to herself :)

    And Dave commented about Hurricane Erika in conjunction with you. It was really funny at the time so it's too bad neither of us can remember what it was.

    I think I need to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.