Saturday, October 17, 2009

i love analytics: vol1

Blogging got a whole lot more fun the day (back in March) that I discovered the joys of Google Analytics. If you're unfamiliar with this program, then....Google it. :) I'm too dumb to explain it well, but suffice it to say that Analytics will take your love (or hatred) of blogging to newly expanded levels. Through Analytics, you can find out tons of interesting things about who is reading your blog, where they're from, how long they stay, and (most interestingly, usually) how they got there.

I just spent a few minutes perusing some recent Analytics data for this, my lovely little place to call home in the blogosphere. I started getting tons of crazy data once I won that giveaway on Kelly's Korner last month, and a lot of new traffic generated via her blog, but most of that has slowed down. What hasn't, however, is the strange ways people find me from Google.

Analytics will tell you exactly what search terms lead a person to click on my blog. This has the potential to be highly amusing. Let's review a few of my favorites from the past month.

Millionaire in the Making: In one month, seven people have found their way to my blog via searching for "Millionaire in the Making." I hope they found everything they needed about how to become a millionaire while they were here. Obviously I know everything about that and have tons of personal experience. :) I would have to guess that these people were sorely disappointed, and for that I would like to apologize. And since the particular post that I'd titled that was actually referring to the crafty gift I gave my sis for her birthday...well, she loved it, but I'm not a millionaire yet. YET.

Second most popular Google to find my site in the last month? By searching Comcast. HAHAHAHA. If you happen to be here looking for info about Comcast, may I suggest you find yourself a different cable provider? I certainly plan to.

Relatedly, someone came here via searching Nausea and Cable Boxes. I concur, those things are often related. I recommend turning off the TV and doing some good old-fashioned blog stalking instead.

And this months Most Amusing Search Term? Something beautiful to look at or watch before bed for good dreams. Mighty specific, isn't it? I hope that finding my blog was exactly what you needed for a night of blissful sleep, my friend.

And this wasn't from this month, but highly amusing nonetheless. On June 12, someone made their way here by searching used laminate orlando craigslist. Seriously? Used laminate? In Orlando? As an educator in the public school system, I can guarantee you that if you visit your local elementary school there will be miles of used laminate there for the taking. But they might give you a funny look when you ask.

So tell me, do you use Analytics? Do you sometimes find it way more amusing than you should? And do you too sometimes consider throwing in bizarre words and phrases here and there into your blog just to see what kind of searches it might attract? Stories are welcomed/encouraged.

5 comments:

  1. Something beautiful to look at or watch before bed for good dreams. Awesome. You certainly make me very interested in google analytics, although I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask why you are planning to switch? Can I help?

    Regards,

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if I make an entry with the word "comcast" will Mark Casem read it and comment? He seems to have a crush on you or something..

    I can't remember what lame "analytics" I use.. but I do know multiple people have googled "coffee toffee twisted frosty" and visited me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude you need to get a restraining order on Mark Casem, like soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.