Monday, February 8, 2010

stream of consciousness

It's not that I'm that busy, yet it's not like there's nothing going on. It's just nothing seems important enough to sit down and write about. I have plenty of time to read other blogs. I just don't feel like writing in my own. And yet I feel sad when I have no new comments. Ha. Apparently I'm out of touch with...oh...reality.

So if this seems random, it's because that's how my brain feels right now. So I decided to browse through the pictures I've taken this month and see what all things I've not mentioned here.

Remember how we're trying to work out and be healthy and all that? Well we're still doing good. I wouldn't call it "dieting," per se, but cutting way back on the desserts and mindless junk food. One night I was craving something sweet though. The old "I deserve ice cream every night" part of me doesn't die easily. :) Luckily we live far away from any opportunities for late-night junk food, so I was forced to get creative with what I had at home. Look what I made!!! Using up some regular old vanilla yogurt, some frozen blueberries, and a splash of cranberry juice...YUM!


Isn't it beautiful? Anyway, I was proud of myself. And that was probably 3 weeks ago. And I still haven't had any icecream. So there, old self! (Note: last week I also wore a pair of pants that haven't fit me in probably 6 months. BOO-YAH!)

Remember Alyssa? We managed to nab her for an evening last week to celebrate her birthday. Our friends Sarah and Adam came too and we had a fun evening of food and games. This was our inaugural Dinner With Friends on our new dining room furniture, too!


Pretty, huh? This is the table without the leaf in (and without the bench. It's currently abiding in our bedroom). Incidentally, I only have table linen settings (??? is that even a phrase? I mean...placemats, cloth napkins, napkin rings) for four. How inconvenient when there are five people eating! Alas. Maybe one day I will buy more.
Here are the girls after our game ended. Alyssa was the birthday queen, which should be obvious by the royal "robe" (Softie 3-in-1 wrap) draped so regally about her shoulders. And by the fact that she is sitting on the royal throne of my blue bouncy (exercise) ball...which you can't see in this picture, but trust me. It's there.

This past Friday night, Matt's sister Amy got engaged! We are very excited. Her fiance, Tom, is one of Matt's oldest friends (he was a groomsman in our wedding) and it's one of those cute stories where Tom has had a crush on Amy for a long time and she wouldn't give him the time of day...until she did, and now they're engaged. I made a long story short, betcha didn't think I could ever do that! Anyway, there was a surprise engagement party Friday night and we had a fun time hanging out (and avoiding all the tempting foods...which I was moderately successful at.)

The newly engaged couple...her ring is beautiful! And I'm pretty excited to get such a high-quality new family member!

That's all the new pictures I have. And about all the energy I have left to type with. Work has been pretty nuts lately and I'm trying not to be stressed or "take it home" with me too much...but I think it just drains all my energy! And I'm not even talking about the kids. Because the kids are amazing. And that's all I have to say about that.

Matt is sitting next to me reading some book called "Stretching Your Dollar" and he just informed me: "Hey baby, it's February! We should be buying electronics!" I reply "well...we don't need any electronics." And he says, "I know! Isn't that great? We are saving so much money!"

I don't even follow that logic. I don't know if that even was logic.

Now he tells me that the best time to get a haircut is in the morning. And the best time to buy a car is in the evening.

I think he needs a new book. And I think I need to go to bed.

Goodnight!

8 comments:

  1. I can imagine Matt making those comments. Funny. If you need something blogworthy, come visit us and hold our baby during the night. We'll let you use our internet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dining room table. I am also proud of you for sticking to your healthy diet/exercise plan. I, on the other hand, am using pregnancy as an excuse to eat ice cream way too frequently (now that my sweet tooth is back.)

    Also, I am planning on coming to Athens the first weekend of march. (I have two engagement photo sessions) Could I live in your guest room for the weekend? and hang out with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Erika, how you make me laugh...If I move to GA will you please keep making me laugh?

    Sincerely,

    Jolene (who doesn't laugh the same without you) Alejandro

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best time to fill up your gas tank is in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the best way to accomplish 5 place settings is to split 2 different place settings so that you have a pattern... at least thats what I do since most of my linens are in sets of 4... and I suggest that its done in the evening. Full-linens at lunch on a non-special occasion may be bad for digestion. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) mmm, erika- your ice-cream substitute looks delicious!
    2) i thought the picture of your table may have been from the store website- everything looks so clean and well-decorated!
    3) every month in real simple, there is a section that tells you what to buy this month (February is apparently the best time to buy furniture, 30-60% off)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new diningroom table! We only have place settings in 4, which seems odd since we are a family of 5 soon to be 6. Oh well!

    Great job on the healthy eating and the pants! Whoo hooo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erika,
    I've been stalking (err... reading your blog) for a few weeks now. I love it! To prove it (haha), I gave you a BLOG AWARD on my blog today! Come by and check it out... maybe it will give you something to write about! :)
    E

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.