Wednesday, December 5, 2012

VINDICATED!!!!!

So remember last week when we had that heart-to-heart about my control freak tendencies when it came to Christmas decorating? I 'fessed up that I was kinda nutso about the details, and (most of) yall patted me on the back and told me it was okay, you understood, you're the same way, and just generally made me feel better? And I did feel better. I do feel better. Matt and I have had some good laughs over the whole thing and we're done. Right?

Well yesterday morning Matt and I were doing our little Advent devotional thing in the car on the way to work. Yep, there's an app for that. There's a few little points to discuss/think about and a few verses or chapters to read and it's a good way to spend part of our daily commute.

Imagine my excitement when I saw that the topic of the day was "Decorations." Speaking of a topic my heart gets happy about...

The Scripture for the day is Exodus 25, if you want to review that first. If you don't, I'll summarize: It's one of those realllllly long and detailed descriptions of how to build/decorate/build the decorations for the Tabernacle. I know. Really riveting stuff.

BUT LO!!! Read on, my friends-- check out these questions I was forced to ponder!!


"Why do you think God was so specific about how to decorate the temple?"

Probably for the same reasons Erika is so specific about how to decorate her living room. Because He wants it to look awesome and not like crap. Because most people, left to their own devices, are just NOT going to happen to decorate it the way you were envisioning it. So if you want it done right-- you either do it yourself, or leave VERY DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS!

The obvious conclusion I drew from this very divinely timed Advent devotion? My extremely detail-oriented approach to Christmas decorations are merely a reflection of my Christlikeness!! A lesser known fruit of the Spirit, if you will!! As I am obviously lacking in humility, I make up for it in my God-like specificity for proper decorating

I don't know if you can understand how amazing and hilarious I found this whole revelation. I was seriously giving air-high-fives to God in the car as I flaunted my correctness to Matt, which is a very holy thing to do at 7 am. Not only did the blogosphere give me the stamp of approval-- I am following in the footsteps of God Himself!!! If that's not winning, I don't know what is.

And at this point, you are either rolling your eyes at me or seriously concerned that a date with a lightning bolt is in my near future, so I'll stop. But I won't stop being the Boss of Christmas Decorating. Because it's the right thing to do.

6 comments:

  1. Ha you are crazy, but in a good way, and in a way to which I can completely relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave is now bowing down to "the spark of the divine" in me, after I read this entire post to him out loud. Being Jewish, he particularly recognizes this God-like ability since Exodus is something he's been studying since he was a kid. Maybe you and I have just been paying more attention the qualities of God from the Old Testament! Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemme know if you stumble across any devotions pertaining to the shopping fruit of the spirit. Cuz I have that in spades :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.