Wednesday, April 2, 2014

perfection

Yesterday was perfection. A beautiful, wonderful, happy day. And the best part was that there was nothing inherently spectacular about it. I mean, I wasn't on vacation...it wasn't even a Saturday! There were no special trips or exciting plans...it was just a typical Tuesday work day. And yet it was the kind of day that made me want to take a million pictures and write down a play-by-play because in all of its ordinariness, it was a really perfect day. I don't want to take it for granted. And I want to remember that normal life with normal problems and living through a season of life where it can be easy to feel dissatisfied with everything...even in that, there can be really perfect days.

A few contributing factors to my Super Perfect Tuesday:

-Better-than-average eyeliner day.


Three different coworkers offered (unsolicited...as opposed to the clearly solicited-for compliments I received via Instagram, ha) compliments! One of them even said that she couldn't stop staring at my eye makeup during a meeting! I mean...I am absolutely vain enough that that totally made my day.

-The weather. I know, you're sick of hearing me blabber about the weather. But I am Weather Wifey-- I can't be stopped!!! It was 80!! It was sunny!! It was breezy!! It was 100% perfection, and even though I'm cooped up in my windowless office for 7 hours of the day, it's somehow more enjoyable just knowing how great it is outside.

-Due to the fabulous weather, our lunchtime walk was even greater than normal. I stopped for my first iced coffee (caramel macchiato, to be technical) of the year. ICED COFFEE!! SO WONDERFUL!!! There wasn't even a line at Starbucks!!

-Then we went and laid on a grassy North Campus (UGA) quad for a few minutes, along with about half the rest of the population of Athens. I mean, seriously. There couldn't have possibly been any students in classes yesterday. They were all (logically) swarming the quads...sunning, reading, playing Frisbee? Perfection. It was picturesque and made me incredibly thankful to work two blocks from the prettiest campus in the world (my humble opinion).

A girl in the sun with coffee. The picture of happiness.
-I got an email that the book I've had on hold at the library came in! So I went and got it! Yay for an eagerly anticipated book to read!

-We bought and planted our veggies!! I have declared that it cannot possibly freeze again, so we're safe to plant! So we did! And much happiness abounded.

-Speaking of things in the yard...our surprise pink tulips had another surprise in store for us. A bunch of yellow brethren springing up two weeks later than the pinks!! It's the funniest thing! I guess yellow ones require a little more marination time? The pinks have been up for two weeks, and all of a sudden we have 4 or 5 yellow ones pop up on the same day!


-I was so happy about the day that I was even excited to cook dinner-- and this has NOT happened in MONTHS. Normally I'm tolerant (at best) about cooking dinner...and this is with Matt doing most of the work, even!! But last night I was just so happy I volunteered to do it all on my own while Matt dug holes for the veggies...and it was SO GOOD! We're still doing eMeals and it is almost always good, but on a day like yesterday, it was only fitting that the meal be EXTRA SUPER GOOD. And it was.

It was a really ordinary day, but it was full of happy things. The next time I'm all woe is meeeee and hating life, someone remind me to come back and read this. Or actually, don't. I'll probably punch you. But maybe I'll remind myself. :)

26 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right on all of this! So many times we are all bummed out about stuff we don't have or things that haven't happened that we forget about the every day simple blessings in our lives. I too am in an office with no windows but I love knowing that the weather is finally warming up! I just love your tulips, they are beautiful!! Oh and for sure your eye makeup is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best post ever :). I, too, am cooped up in a windowless office for 7 hours a day and I absolutely HATE it! However, reading your post gave me a little attitude adjustment...so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a great day! I love your eyeliner and your fab earrings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow it does sound like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, your eyeliner. AMAZING. :) Sounds like a perfect day to me too - now, I'm off to find an iced coffee and a grassy knoll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your pic on IG and promptly went to Amazon to order it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sun and warm weather is a magically thing! Especially after this winter! So glad you had perfect ordinary day :) They are definitely something to celebrate and remember!!

    Seriously, I need to come visit just so you can help me with make up! Your eye liner looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading about your great day just made mine a little better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. Your eyeliner is pretty fabulous! Yay for warm, sunny weather! I'm glad you were able to get outside and enjoy it yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your makeup is absolutely amazing! I stared, too, but at the picture obviously. Hooray for your flowers and soon to be veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you had an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason I'm seeing you skipping across the campus sing Pharell's "Happy." I'm also not sure if I was supposed to use quotes around Happy but I just didn't have the energy to Google it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erika I love this! You said it perfectly for me. I'm in (A SUPER LONG) season of CONSTANTLY feeling dissatisfied. I love it when I have happy days/moments that remind me my entire life doesn't suck and wont' suck forever. By the way I'm always scared to post because although I'm a teacher (of español) my grammar es muy mala and I don't want to erk you! ;) Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your eyeliner is nothing shy of perfect! An iced coffee while basking in the sun is perfect! The book you've waited for arrives is perfect! Planting veggies because freezing is a thing of the past is perfect! Cooking dinner because you feel like it is perfect! So, I'd say your day was perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww...I even feel happy just reading about that good day! Thanks for brightening mine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great day to me. Love the yellow tulips! My fav flower for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for great (unspectacular) days! I so wish it was iced coffee time here. Soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know what song I imagine playing in the background of this? The one from "The Brady Bunch" - "I think I'll go for a walk outside now, the summer sun's calling my name!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tulips are beautiful! I'm glad your day was so wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aaawa! What can I say . . . One of the reasons I enjoy reading your blog is you know how to make the ordinary AMAZING. You share the magic in your life and it makes it easier for others to see that too.
    So happy you had a great spring Tuesday. -Love- the tulips that popped up.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i planted veggies all week, and if it freezes, i'm blaming you. also, when my tomato situation gets out of control (why the HECK did i plant 8 tomato plants????), can i give them to you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets ridiculously excited when I get that email from the library saying my hold request has arrived. Super nerd status!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What do you have on your lips in that first picture? It's lovely and I want some!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you had a great day! :) Love your eyeliner too. Mine never looks that good...mainly b/c i do it in the car...............

    Your tulips are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have failed me. There's going to be a freeze tomorrow night... I trusted you! Why would you do this to me!?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This really does sound like a perfect day for no good reason. May you have more of them. And soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.