Monday, April 7, 2014

this weekend was a win

 It was a rather perfect weekend. I mean, I took like 10 whole pictures and none of them are even flowers, so you KNOW it had to be something special, right? Right.

Friday night's John Mark McMillan concert was amaaaazing.


As you can see, Cat and I were not at all excited to be there. Also, it's been quite some time since I've seen so many hipster guys concentrated in one location. I mean, for real. Bearded guys outnumbered (mostly unbearded) girls like 5 to 1. It was bizarre. Where was this scene back when I was on the man hunt?? Hmph. 


John Mark did an awesome job and it was a fun night of music and friends. We even stopped for Blizzards on our way back home. It was deemed medically necessary, since our throats were a little raw from the scream-singing and fog machines. I got Mint Oreo, because I'm incapable of getting anything other than Mint Oreo as long as Mint Oreo is on the menu. It's a problem.

We slept in on Saturday, which was Matt's birthday! Then he begged for like thirty minutes for me to make breakfast, and I finally gave in. But only just this once, for his birthday. Then we went on a nice long hike/walk on the trails and through to our town's downtown area. The weather was perfect and with all of the flowering trees in full bloom...it was a delightful walk.

After our legs were sufficiently tired, we ran a few errands and then found it necessary to recuperate on the porch of one of our favorite new restaurants, Taqueria Tsunami. This place has only been open for about a month, but somehow we've managed to make our way there every single weekend since it's been here. It's a gift, really.


I went with the Thai Chicken taco and the Rising Sun taco (here for descriptions) and I regret nothing. Oh, and the fried yucca, obviously. It is amazing.

After that we met up with Matt's family at the Botanical Gardens. We took in some more flowers and sun, which was not exactly torture. We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening celebrating the birthday boys- Matt and our BIL Tom, who got to enjoy two days of both being 31...and today Tom moves on to bigger and better numbers. ;) This means I also got to spend time with my favorite nephew Timmy!!


I'm trying to cherish my dwindling days of being able to refer to my one nephew and one niece as my 'favorite' nephew/niece. I can say it now because I only have one of each. But another niece will be joining the clan in the next month or two, meaning Carly's days of being favorite-and-only are numbered. And in the fall another something (sex TBD) will be joining in on the party, and so...yeah. Days of favorites are nearly done. Oh well. I'll have to come up with better adjectives or something. 

Yesterday was cloudy and cool...after church and lunch with the family, we indulged in a lovely multi-hour nap. And a lot of reading (I finished Red Rising and have moved on to this month's book club pick, This is Where I Leave You). And finished off the night with takeout pizza and three episodes of Breaking Bad. We just started watching BB this week...it's taken a few episodes to really get into it, but I think I'm starting to understand the appeal (I think we're through Episode 5 or 6 of Season 1).

Clearly it was a great weekend and if it had been an option at 6:17 this morning when my alarm went off, I'd have definitely picked to re-live the weekend instead of moving on to Monday. Sadly, it wasn't a choice, so here we are. Have a good day! 

16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Matt! Your Weather Wifey made sure you had a perfect weekend! How nice. You're a pretty lucky guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely weekend! Obviously I need to try this new Mexican restaurant (fried yucca? YUM!), Breaking Bad is great (but gets pretty intense), and I love that you wake up at such a random time (my alarm is set for 6:22 a.m.). Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for good weekends! And since I have 3 nieces and 3 nephews, I try to solve the "favorite" problem by referring to them as "my favorite 8-year-old) or "my favorite 1-year-olds." (Can't have just one favorite 1-year-old, thanks to Colby and Clara.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Breaking Bad. A very interesting show. I'm glad we watched it, but I have no desire to ever watch it again. Mostly because there are other shows in my arsenal that I need to watch. But I will say my favorite character at the end was not my favorite character at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday to Matt! It sounds like a lovely weekend! Far better than Monday + Rain following a vacation... waahhhhh!

    I like that you noted takeout pizza rather than delivery pizza... if I remember correctly you don't do pizza delivered to your home???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun weekend! You beat us by one Breaking Bad episode last night. We're on season 3 and that show truly stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying really hard not to be jealous of your food choices for the weekend. Except I would have to go with a different blizzard flavor but still . . . blizzard and tacos??? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your meal sounds delish! And I'm jealous of the nice weather you have for outdoor seating!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pic of you and your nephew! He is such a cutie! Glad to hear you had an amazing weekend. Sounds like a very yummy time was had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great weekend!! We actually had spring like weather here too and I made lots of excuses to just be outside! Now I want mint oreo blizzard too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh! Those tacos! They might beat a QT hot dog. Might. What a great birthday weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a super wonderful weekend! You'll find plenty of adjectives as the nieces/nephews join the family...we have 4 nephews and 5 nieces (THAT seems insane) and they are so different and delightful in their own ways!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun!! Looks like you had a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait, so who else is having babies in your family? Did I miss this announcement?

    Glad Matt had an HBD and that you got to reap the rewards by eating good food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watch a lot of television, so I feel qualified to tell you that Breaking Bad is the best show that ever was, and possibly the best show that ever will be. Just wait. Your mind will be BLOWN.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't yucca a desert plant and not a food. I am oddly curious...

    Also, I'm impressed that Matt went to a botanical garden on HIS birthday. I have to say Dave got gardened out in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.