Tuesday, April 1, 2014

the joke's on you.

Today is April Fools' Day. I just looked it up to figure out where the apostrophe went in 'fools'. Interesting that it goes at the end...I guess it's the day for all the April fools, not just one. Strange that Mother's Day is punctuated differently, though. I would have thought all the 'days' would deserve the same apostrophe usage, but according to some quick Googling, it's not terribly consistent. April Fools' Day, Mother's Day, Veterans Day (NO apostrophe), Administrative Professionals' Day, National Grandparents Day...if Google and Wikipedia can be trusted, everything I just typed is correct...and different. Weird. You learn something every day!

Anyway. For as much as I love pranks (and pranking Matt, in particular), I don't have anything planned for today. I find it a little cliche and predictable to play tricks on April Fools' Day. Come on. Everyone is on their guard! Practical jokes are way better on basically any day other than April 1. Like...this year, I found January 29 to be a particularly great day to play a prank. So that's my official pranking advice for you. Do it when the opportunity arises. Or when the Spirit moves you. Don't feel obligated to confine your creativity to one day a year.

Today I did something I've been wanting and meaning to do for a long time: bring produce from the garden to share at work!


Several folks here bring in veggies from their gardens when they have an abundance. That always makes me SO happy...I keep telling myself that when I have abundance, I'll share, too. But then I always forget, or eat it all myself. Oops. Anyway. The kale situation in our garden is definitely becoming an abundant situation, so I finally remembered to cut a bunch and bag it up to share! 

I'm not going to measure up to this super awesome guy at my church, though. He's a farmer (like...with real animals and such. I call myself a farmer sometimes, but that's only because I'm a huge exaggerator with a few small gardens.) and a few weeks ago he brought a cooler full of grassfed, organic ground beef from his cattle (so...local, too, cause he lives in town!) and GAVE IT AWAY to all of us!!! Ummm...you want to talk about excitement?? Give a bunch of not-rich wannabe hippies a bunch of free locally grown grassfed beef. Watch the people go wild. Anyway. I don't think my kale will incite quite that kind of riot, but I'm still excited about it. 

Today at work we start our next book study (which is the work terminology for 'mandatory book club'). That may not sound like fun, except when you take into account that we're reading a book that I'm SUPER excited about and would totally read on my own anyway!

Source
I loooove Malcolm Gladwell's books and was SUPER excited to be 'forced' to read this one (and given a copy)! So far I've only read the Introduction and Chapter 1, as that is what we'll be discussing today...I didn't want to read far ahead and then get all confused. But no matter-- I was super pumped up and excited and inspired by the book by basically the 3rd page of the introduction. Gladwell has SUCH a way with words- I had to make myself my very own inspirational quote thingy to hang up at my desk!


I mean...if that quote on top of a pinkish ink blob thing doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will. There may be no hope for you.

On that note, have a delightful (April Fools') day!

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow--that's a beautiful bunch of kale!! I've never tried growing greens in our little garden...any words of wisdom if I were to try it?? Happy April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I need to actually read a book this year. I can't even blame this on the bambino, as it's been YEARS since I could call myself a "reader". You inspire me/make me feel guilty all the time… :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super impressed with the kale :). Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a required summer read every summer for the school we teach at and ours is DAVID & GOLIATH too! I am really excited to read it because I enjoyed Outliers.
    That Kale looks so yummy! You are such a nice farming co-worker.
    I have not decided what trick to play on my students today and THANKFULLY they have not played any tricks on me.. yet....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That kale looks fantastic. I'm only *slightly* jealous that your garden is already producing an overabundance of goodness while we just planted our cold stuff on Sunday. Stinking Zone 5. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I should have maybe clarified that this is winter kale still going strong! Definitely not something planted in the spring!! :)

      Delete
  6. My son posted on Instagram "Today is April 1st I, trust no one!" Made me laugh how my 11 year old has his guard up. Wonder if I can prank him?! Heehee! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh kale yeah! Ha, I saw that on a t-shirt. Happy AFD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that quote!

    And I agree, people shouldn't play pranks on April Fools' Day especially on me because it's my bday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that the Spirit moves you and cries out for you to prank your husband... where He leads, we must follow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. LIKE the Malcolm quote. We should start planning Administrative Professionals' Day celebrations now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading about beef makes me want a cheeseburger, but I just finished my (boring) lunch, so that's not gonna happen. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should have put poison on the kale before handing it out... you know, for April Fools' Day! Nothing funnier than a good ol' poisoning joke!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I grew kale last year and it was delicious. What else did you plant this year?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard awesome things about Malcolm Gladwell. I expect to hear a full follow up after you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The whole apostrophe thing now totally has me confused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Malcolm Gladwell too. I haven't heard of this book. Have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot believe the craziness that is apostrophes and holidays. Wow.

    Also, I wish I lived close enough to come get some of your kale as it will be three months probably until we get some from our CSA. Well, maybe closer to two by now...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.