Tuesday, June 12, 2012

only 6 months left!!

Hey hey party people-- guess what today is?? It's my HALF BIRTHDAY!! This is a monumental occasion for so many reasons. First of all, I've been 29 for six months. Second of all, I'll only be in my 20s for *gulp* six more months. Third of all, I only have six months left to plan my amazing 30th birthday bash!!!

In case you are a terrible friend and are a jerk and have forgotten, my 30th birthday will be occurring on 12/12/12 this year (Duh. As though that third '12' were indicating anything other than...this year...).** And having such a cool birthday date PLUS it being my 30th birthday OBVIOUSLY means I need to have an amazing party. The only un-amazing part is that it will be on a Wednesday (womp womp womp...)...but my thinking is that if the party is amazing enough, people will be willing to overlook the fact that it's a weeknight, right? Right.


SO. That puts us into Official Party Planning Mode. Now, I have never planned a party for myself (other than my wedding, of course)...so I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. All I know is that I want it to be awesome. And really fun. And not awkward. And so here's the current direction I'm leaning:


A HUNGER GAMES PARTY. Amazing, right?? First of all, everyone needs to wear costumes. As long as it's HG-themed, it'll be fine: clothing representing the Districts, the Capitol, the Arena...whatever. Now basically, I'd probably be satisfied even if it went no further than costumes...because I love costumes more than life itself. But why stop there? I'm only turning 30 once, right?? So why shouldn't we throw in some Hunger Games as well?? Like...I dunno, javelin throwing? Tree climbing? Bow and arrow shooting? Ya know, all things I have no idea how to do and probably no one else does either? Can you do those things at a party in December? I submit that you can. But I'm open to suggestions as to HOW to pull this off...which is why I'm opening up the floor early. 


Obviously we will be needing HG-esque food. I'll be calling on all of my baker-friends (*cough*kristinandcatherine*cough*) to recreate the breads of the Districts. And maybe some lamb-and-dried-plum stew? And hot chocolate! And...what the heck, they made a friggin Hunger Games Cookbook, may as well just buy it and go wild, right??
source


 Okay, so...clearly this is the best party idea ever and you are probably all dying of jealousy that you didn't think of it yourself but...if you're lucky, maybe I'll invite you! In the meantime, please send all amazing suggestions, thoughts, and ideas (party-related or otherwise, haha) my way so that I can mentally fixate on something other than the fact that I will be 30 and childless keep planning!!




** YALL. I can't believe I'm even about to share this, but apparently I have no shame. Or a great deal of confidence that you folks will find this endearing, rather than writing me off as a complete and total idiot once you know the following fact. So as I was thinking about the "of course 12 could only mean THIS year" thing, my mind momentarily tried to calculate when the next time the year would end in 12 would be, in case I wanted to throw in some funny joke about that. And what my mind calculated was... the year 3012. Obviously. And then I sat and marveled for a few minutes at how TRULY RARE this year is, that another one like it (ending in 12) won't occur for ONE THOUSAND MORE YEARS. It blew my mind a little. Until I realized that I am completely stupid and failing at math and life. And now telling everyone. The end.  

11 comments:

  1. Hahaha to the disclaimer at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Allison's ha ha ha's at the disclaimer! Also, Allison and I don't have a half birthday :( Regardless, happy half birthday to you! I'll be anxiously awaiting my party invite in the mail. I would offer up some suggestions for the party, but being that I've never read the books/seen the movie, I doubt I'd be much help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, seriously loved the disclaimer. If you can plan a wedding, you can plan a birthday party! I've never seen Hunger Games, but the game ideas sound fun. Have you tried searching "hunger game game ideas" or something like that? My 30th sucked in a way, which I plan to blog about in a few weeks since I will be 31 in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be there!! With berries! And a few squirrel. Squirrels? Squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy half birthday! I am about 60 pages in to the first Hunger Games book. Sounds like a phenomenal party you are planning:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I haven't actually read HG yet (I've got all the books on my kindle, but I also have angry birds and it trumps everytime). I did see the movie and LOVE the costumes so this themed party idea is pretty ingenius. Just be sure everyone doesn't come dressed as Haymitch - i.e. looking like a very drunk hobo version of Woody Harrelson. On second thought, that could be pretty amazing too! Better get a head start on that "girl on fire" suit. Happy Half Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another blog I read had a Hunger Games kids party. Don't know if that will be helpful and I really didn't "get it" because I've not read the series.

    And HAHA on the math disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will make you whatever cake you want! Of course, might I suggest something from my 3-layer cake cookbook... ;) You can peruse on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about a cake decorated like the forest floor? You know, like from when Peeta was trying to hide himself... That would be pretty wild and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read it in a few months, but aren't their 12 districts? 12 months, 12 districts...12 different food's, appropriately tied to districts? (13 can just be a bonus, since the capitol didn't count them most of the time)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ummmm... so i am so in. srsly. also, why haven't you asked me about this sooner? bread baking is what i am all about! hello carbs, meet my PCOS induced waistline!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.