Friday, June 14, 2013

free starbucks: a PSA

My take-home messages from the comments on yesterday's post was that a) no one else has awesomely kind next-door-neighbors like me, and b) you don't know about the turn-in-your-bag, get-free-coffee thing at Starbucks!!

I can't help you with the first issue (although there are a few houses for sale in my neighborhood if you're interested...it'd put you a lot closer to great neighbors...and me!!), but I am happy to enlighten everyone about the second!! Here's the deal.

If you happen to buy Starbucks to brew at home, take a look at your bag:



And in case you were wondering if I had to sneak into Diana's office early this morning to take these pictures...the answer is yes. Having a master key is a beautiful thing. ;) And a friend that is extremely organized and keeps her Empty Coffee Bags in exactly the same spot always! Made for a quick field trip.

So. If you were to carefully examine the side of your Starbucks coffee bag, you would find this:

Fo' real!! It's right there, everything you need to know!! Bring in the empty bag, they give you a free coffee. It can be hot or iced, and at the Starbucks we frequent here in downtown Athens, they don't care if it's a flavored iced coffee...so I get caramel. In case you needed to know. Not quite a Frapp, but pretty close, and FREE, so...yep.

This is a picture of Diana's empty bag collection. I have no idea how she gets this many empty bags, but if it's because she drinks this much coffee all by herself, I wouldn't be surprised. But hey- she shares the bounty of the free coffee, and you can't ask for a better friend than that!!

So now you're in on the best-kept Starbucks secret...that isn't exactly a secret. If you don't believe me or the side of the bag, they also discuss it on their webpage

Another not-so-secret secret? Remember the amazing veggie reuben sandwich I went on and on about yesterday? Yeah. I couldn't NOT go for lunch again yesterday. It's a weakness, I tell you! Luckily, it was just as good the second time. And I'm trying to muster up all my self-control to not go again today. Part of my 'get self control' plan involved stopping and getting a donut (apple fritter, fine) on the way to work. I figure I'll feel too guilty about eating the donut to go out for lunch now. Solid logic? We'll see. Happy Friday!

14 comments:

  1. I wonder if they would do the same for an empty bag of store-brand HEB coffee... think we should try it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't know this... and I am all about free stuff! Thank you for this very important PSA. Also, you might as well make it 3 for 3 on the amazing reuben sandwich lunch. I would! Ask them about "buy 2, get 1 free" or "free sandwich Friday." You never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Want, Want, Want one of those sandwiches but Ottawa is a little ways away from Athens! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew this! But that makes sense because a) we don't brew Starbucks coffee at home and b) a free drink that is not a frap is not of use to yours truly... but cool for everyone else who can take advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow who knew! I do like their coffee at home so i may have to start buying some, i love me some free stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!

    I worked at Starbucks in high school and LOVED getting a free pound of coffee with my paycheck. Best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bahh! I love your logic! I'm trying to will myself to not walk eight steps for some Starbucks this morning... I mean it would have to be dacaf, so that seems like a waste, but gosh if my will will power cares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are all about spreading the knowledge. Your blog should really be a .org

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your donut logic. Very...logical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where's the picture of the second sandwich?

    Also, it is always important to share knowledge about how to get free coffee. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like and moreso completely understand your logic on using donuts to resist a third sandwich in as many days. And yes, you were right to assume that I have that many coffee bags because I drink that much coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow our used coffee bags just get us ten cents off our next purchase of a bag of coffee. Although come to think of it, I don't think they even do that anymore.

    And our awesome neighbours bring us fresh eggs from their chickens and homemade strawberry pie. But if I could convince Dave to move we'd totally show up in your neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is how I justify my purchase of Starbucks coffee for my Keurig. I use the refillable Kcup and fill it with Starbucks coffee, that I buy on some kind of deal (usually Target.) Then when I'm done, I sent the bag with Brandon so he can get coffee on the way to work or on a break. His office has a Starbucks on site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing the information, I had no idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.