Sunday, September 4, 2011

dialect vlog

I know, twice in one day? Obviously I'm bored out of my mind today. So sorry.


So a long time ago, my friend Jessica posted this "dialect video-blog (vlog)" and I thought it was really interesting. However, at the time I was webcam-less, so I couldn't make one myself.


I've seen the vlog popping up on various blogs in the past week or so, and since I am now with webcam, I figured it was high time to join in the fun!!


So there's two parts to this thing. First you just record yourself saying a list of words. Not sure who came up with this list...some words, I can imagine how they'd be said differently depending on your accent. Some of them? I really think they'd sound the same no matter what. But whatever. Then the second part has you read and answer a list of questions about what you call different things. I've watched a lot of these vlogs lately, and this is the part that's most interesting to me. People call things all different sorts of stuff!


Most people preface their reading/answering with a little description of where they're from. Since I felt REALLY awkward talking to the webcam, I decided I'd just write my description instead of forcing you to watch another 30 seconds of me looking down, blinking a lot, and pressing my lips together.


I'm from east Georgia. I've lived here since I was two years old. Both of my parents were born and raised in Texas. I've never considered myself to have an accent in Georgia...but sometimes in other places, I notice it a bit more. I guess that compared to real Southern accents, I'm mild. But compared to some yankee or something...maybe it's there. Anyways. Enough blabbering on in typing. Let's blabber on in a video! Yeehaw!


Here're the words I'm supposed to say in the first video:


Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught.




Umm...awkward!!! I don't really know where to LOOK when I'm on a webcam. I'm still a newbie, so forgive me.


Alright, here are the questions for part 2:



  • What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
  • What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
  • What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
  • What do you call gym shoes?
  • What do you say to address a group of people?
  • What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped
  • body and extremely long legs?
  • What do you call your grandparents?
  • What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry
  • groceries at the supermarket?
  • What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
  • What is the thing you change the TV channel with?


So! That was funsies and all. It will be more fun when YOU do one of yourself and join in the fun. Get to it!

11 comments:

  1. Love this! Another blog friend from Georgia did it yesterday - I think I'm going to have to do it to show my complete lack of accent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are adorable! The spittin' image of a Georgia Peach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun! I may have to do it soon too. Also, I was surprised at how many of the words from the list we say differently. And I think you sound more southern on the video than you do in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Allison said! My favorite line is "rollin' a house"- you're cute, BFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. You almost sound as southern as me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that SOUTHERN accent! I always hear you in your "blogging" voice, and did not expect that accent for some reason. Maybe your write like a Westerner... or Northerner... I don't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sun shower! And yes, you sound more southern in this video than I've ever heard you sound. Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GAH!!!!! I'm going to steal this and do it sometime this weekend. I love that we say some thing EXACTLY the same--ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We call the remote the clicker in my family...my husband does not get it. So basically, I totally understand calling it the flipper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I knew how to record myself with my webcam I would totally do this. Since I'm from Canada I do think you have an accent but it's not much of one. The only questions I would answer differently are:
    1) Toilet papering a house.
    2) no idea what the question is talking about and your answer didn't help me! Maybe we don't have them in Canada :)
    3) Pop. Although I only drink Coke!
    4) Running shoes.
    5) Hey guys! Hi guys! (whether it's guys, girls, or a mix.)
    7) Grandma and Grandpa. My parents go by Oma and Opa which is German and my husband called his grandparents Papa and Mama followed by their names. He's Jewish and I think that's a more Jewish thing to do.
    9) A sunshower!

    Like I said if I knew how to use my webcam I would totally do this but there are some fun, slightly different, answers from an "international reader!" Ha ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps. Yes, I'm still blog stalking and leaving comments on posts which are from a (not so) ridiculously long time ago!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.