Friday, May 16, 2014

the gardening tip that will change your life

 It's time for the new edition of Semi-Useful Gardening Advice from Erika. YAAAAAAY! I can hear the enthusiastic cheering all the way over here. Thanks for being so excited.

No, but really. This one is going to be the most useful, practical, no-fail bit of information that you didn't know you needed to know...just wait. Your mind is about to be blown. 

For starters, all you need is a glass. Or cup. Or anything cylindrical that can hold water. An old spaghetti jar. Whatever. You will also need some water. Tap water is fine. And lastly, you need a windowsill. Preferably one that isn't the same height as your kid or your dog or anything else that might be inclined to knock water-filled glasses onto the floor.

Got it? Now we're ready.

Green onions.

I know. Not very exciting. I'm not really a huge fan, but they're the kind of thing that show up in loads of recipes. I don't hate them or anything, I just feel very...neutral. I don't think they're particularly nutrient-packed, nor are they unhealthy. They're not gross. But they're not really great, either. They're just there. But sometimes they do add a particular bite to a recipe, and so they're the kind of thing I find myself buying at the store a few times a month. They're not expensive, so like...why not. I just like to follow recipes. The less thinking, the better. So if it calls for green onions, I buy green onions.

But one day, my friend Cat showed me something that blew my mind. And I'm about to show you. And then you can drastically reduce your green onion purchasing at the store. I mean, this could save you like...I dunno, five dollars a year? Eight, if you're a heavy onion eater? THAT'S A CUP OF COFFEE (or two!), YO. 

Next time you use green onions, don't throw the bottoms (the white parts) away. Get your glass, your water, and your windowsill, and do this:

This was Sunday afternoon.
And then, sit back. Do nothing. And keep an eye on them. Because SOON, it will look like THIS!
This is Thursday evening.
Did you see it?? New growth!! At the top!! Fresh green onions growing out of the old green onions!! It's like magic! And also, the water has become cloudy. That's kinda gross, so don't think about it. Just look at the new onions!!!


That's like an inch or two of new, edible growth on each onion! So if I had a recipe today that needed a few tablespoons of chopped green onions...well then, there they are. No trip to the store required. No dollar spent. Heck yeah.


And even though I don't really care for the onions, I must say-- I think it's really fun to watch them grow. They grow FAST! Oftentimes I have to give them a 'haircut' because they're just too out of control on the windowsill and they're crashing into the blinds and causing all kinds of chaos. This green-onion-in-water thing is probably the most instantly gratifying 'gardening' I've ever done...I mean, they grow so quickly you can practically WATCH it. You'll see noticeable growth from morning to night. It's really quite entertaining (if you're as easily entertained as me). I bet if you have a kid, they'd be really amused too. So...fun for the whole family! Who needs Disney World?? 

I've been growing our onions like this off and on for a few years now. You can get probably 4-6 weeks of re-growing out of them before they just peter out and quit trying. And then you can toss them and get new ones. The fun never stops. And as a bonus, when people come to your house, they'll be like are those...onions? Growing in water? And then you can feel really smart and earthy when you explain how it goes.

So there ya go. The one gardening thing I'm confident everyone can master. Just don't forget to refill the water. It does evaporate, and that leads to a swift onion death. So keep it topped off. And you can change it when it gets murky so that you don't look like a gross person with gross onion water in her kitchen. And...that's about it. I hope this changes your life like it changed mine. 

Have a great weekend!

18 comments:

  1. 1. Love your nail polish (so relevant to gardening, I know).
    2. Another fun gardening tip: if you take a single clove from a head of garlic and plant it, it will sprout into a new head. And supposedly the new garlic plants keep pests (I'm looking at you, rabbits) away. Between your tip and mine, folks will have enough for TWO coffees this year! Or maybe some gum, because, you know...onions and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome!! But I seriously struggle with things that grow underground...how do you know when the new head of garlic is ready??

      Delete
  2. You and Amanda are on it! My husband will be excited about these new tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome - I have heard this, but always forget to try it!!!! I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. brillant! I will totally do this. Question, do you change the water, or is the icky, murky water part of the trick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I change it. When I remember. :) I don't think the icky water has any particularly beneficial properties!!

      Delete
  5. Except...except... I always use the white parts of green onions :( And we go through about a bundle a week because we are crazy like that so I should totally revamp my green onion use, implement this tip, and save a ton of money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - lurker here. I am friends with Jennie, Allison and Amanda, though, so that pretty much makes us friends, right? (c: Anyway, I recently read about this somewhere else, and you can also do it with lettuce. I have some romaine lettuce growing by my window as we speak. It's an experiment, as this is the first time to try it, but it's working so far. Not very quick, but noticeably growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome!! Did you have to leave some of the inner leaves, or...what? How did you get it started?

      Delete
  7. I love using this trick! However, I feel the new growth isn't usually as flavorful. But, I am that small percentage of people who really like green onions. Those green onions are HUGE. Up here in the Pacific Northwest or green onions are tiny string beans compared to those monsters! By the way, your nail polish!! Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! I need it, I want it. SPILL, where do I find such a color as this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- I don't think the new growth is as flavorful...which doesn't bother me a bit, ha. And I also agree that these particular onions are unusually large-- ours are usually much smaller, too!! GMO onions, anyone?? ;)

      The nail polish is Ulta Salon Formula "Mint Condition"!

      Delete
  8. Those onions are huge!! I usually plant the bottom 1/2" in my garden and hope they grow. Maybe I'll start them on the windowsill next time :-) I do the garlic trick with mixed results. Have to try it with lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! I'm jealous of ppl that grow things because I just.... Can't! I love your nail polish, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green onion: the gift that keeps on giving. Who knew (besides your friend)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do they smell while growing? I don't think I'd enjoy that! I also like Amanda's garlic trick...trying that in my garden soon.
    Thank you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No smell!! Like Morgan said upthread, the new ones aren't usually as strongly flavored as the predecessors. But also, I just don't think green onions in general have as strong a scent (or flavor) as white/red onions.

      Delete
  12. What a great light, heartened informative post for a Friday. What can I say other than I was in complete ignorance that one could grow onions in water! Hope you and M have a lovely weekend.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.