Friday, May 31, 2013

proud

It's been a little over a month since I declared to all the world that I planned to train for and complete a sprint triathlon. Considering it was a decision made (and boldly proclaimed) with about eleven minutes' thought, I'm proud of the progress I've made so far. Check out my Month of May Badassery (TM):

That's right-- I worked out on 18 days. EIGHTEEN!! And this wasn't a particularly 'easy' month...we were out of town for 3 days, had out-of-town guests for another 4 days, I was too ill to work out for probably 4 days...and still, 18 days of workouts!! I don't want to come across as bragging, because that's not the intent. It's more that I feel like I spend a lot of time thinking (if not writing) about what my body can't do: get pregnant, be skinny, resist brownies (perhaps some of these are related?), fit into clothes that fit last summer (yikes)...uhhh...so yeah. I'm trying to be intentional about remembering to celebrate the things I/it can do: like work out 18 times (and some of those days had more than one workout!) in a month!

I looked back at some of the 'obstacles' I foresaw myself having back in April when I declared myself Planning to do a Tri. Some of them remain. Some of them have been obliterated! Let's check in:

1. I hate running. Like really really hate it. This is bad because at the end of this triathlon, there's a 5k. AFTER you swim 1/2 a mile and bike 14. So hating running is going to have to go.-- I still hate running. But I do it (sometimes) anyway, and I'm getting faster. But it doesn't mean I like it any better.

2. I'm scared of riding bikes and don't own one. Minor detail. It's not really that I'm scared of riding, it's that I'm scared of riding near cars. So I need to find places to ride that aren't near cars. And also find a bike. -I got a bike (mountain bike) and enjoy riding it a lot more than I thought I would. It's definitely my go-to workout and I actually feel cranky if a few days go by and I haven't had a chance to ride...didn't see THAT coming! And I ride near cars! I won't say I love that part of it (I try to find roads and trails with as little traffic as possible), but I try hard to be brave...and wear a helmet. Last weekend I even crossed 316! (A big 65 mph divided highway)

This was my workout last night-- look, 12 miles! I know that's not particularly impressive to 'real' bikers, but it is to me...plus it's on a mountain bike, so it should count double. :)

3. I prefer to spend my pool time on a lounge chair with my Kindle and a rum-based beverage. That will have to change if I'm going to swim 1/2 a mile in open water without drowning. No change here! Monday was our first time in the pool, and it definitely did not involve anything that resembled real swimming. More like reading books and floating...

4. I would need to train 4-5 days a week in order to build up the skills and endurance (although most of the workouts would not be long (hour or less)...only one long workout per week (bike ride), which could be on the weekend). I currently work out maybe two or three days a week. I'd have to make some lifestyle changes to accommodate this. -I am making working out a more regular part of my lifestyle and regularly working out 4-5 days a week! It's a lot easier since I'm mostly working out at home and not the gym, which saves a lot of travel time.

5. Because we don't have access to an indoor pool, the swimming training will not be able to start for probably another month, or whenever I deem my in-laws' pool to be warm enough. So that'll put my swimming on a tighter time frame. -True. Haven't started swim training yet. Slightly concerned.

6. I don't dope. I've heard this is standard operating procedure for bike-riding, and I'm not sure where to purchase steroids. Dang you sheltered lifestyle... -I still don't dope, but I have gained like three freakin pounds, so is that the same thing as 'bulking up'? We'll pretend it's all muscle and not due to the omnipresent baked goods at my workplace.



So it looks like I've made progress in some areas...I'm glad I listed out some of my 'fears' at the beginning because it helps me remember where I started. I wasn't always this cycling beast that whipped out 12 miles after dinner just because she felt like it...although I'm sure that's really hard to believe. :) 

So! With a solid two and a half months to go before the Real Deal, I can still proudly say that I'm training for a tri...and I just might make it.

PS. Last night, after completing my 12 miles of biking, I triumphantly proclaimed (with fist pumps) that I'd (almost) done a half-marathon. And then I wanted to throw up thinking about how real half-marathons are RUNNING and holy crap how can anyone run for as far as I just rode??? That's disgusting. You people are freaks. And I mean that in the nicest way possible, of course!

25 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to go back and see what you were thinking when you started to train! Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, speaking of half marathons...my best friend asked me to do the Athens Half in October. I tentatively committed (she's not a runner, btw). And I'm pretty sure I'm going to back out because I am with you- I hate running. Also my least favorite part of training.

    BUT...way to go on working out that much!! I'm guessing that calendar is from Endomondo? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you are seriously inspiring me. One of my New Years' resolutions was to run a 5k and Ryan asked me the other night when we were going to do one. Maybe this summer will be the one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great job! I am so proud of your accomplishments and your will power is inspiring. Your sanity, however, may be questionable--I can't believe you crossed 316 on a bike! Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A- you're amazing
    B- I can't fit into clothes purchased last summer either
    C- please don't bike across 316

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be proud! That is an awesome May record for working out. And way to go on loving biking. It has always been my favourite form of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud of you, girl!!! Just think- every time you're out there running, swimming or biking, you're doing more than me!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressed! You should be PROUD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totes impressed. I think to celebrate sticking with it for a whole month, you should actually sign up for the tri. :)
    Also, the other day I made the mistake of trying on the largest pair of non-maternity pants that I own. And they wouldn't even go over my thighs. So that's a little depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yahooo I'm so proud to read about your progress!! I think by the time the real deal rolls around you'll totally rock it! That list part about the half marathon cracked me up! It doesn't feel like that long when you're running it but then again I was with my best friends and surrounded by beautiful scenery so that helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so exciting! Wish I could do another one with you! You are going to rock it. Awesome job on all the workouts and trainings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! I think we do what you did with biking... just take it one mile at a time! Great job Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand being fearful of riding near cars. I even have a phobia of riding hear people. In my first year of college I always wanted to be one of those people who rode their bikes to class, but my fear of hitting people meant I had to leave really early for class... which kind of killed the point. We also had crazy tame squirrels that were known for running out in front of people and stopping. So yeah, I rarely rode my bike... But KUDOS to you! You seem pretty darn awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really proud of you! Way to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl! 18 days?! That is fantastic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job! I am not a runner, swimmer or a biker (I know, how awesome am I?) so needless to say I am REALLY impressed with your determination!! And as a side note. . . if you ever are having a bad training week and need a little boost, just compare yourself to me, and you will be feeling better in no time. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are my hero! I am one of those crazies who have ran a few half marathons so I know what it is like to train for something. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you go to dailymile.com, you could sign up and put a little widget on the blog and then you could show us with every workout how incredibly awesome you are, and it's so easy to record your miles you could even do it while eating brownies.
    Great job! Keep up the hard work! You'll be crazy in no time...in the most spectacular way of course!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so awesome! Congrats! I love your focus on what yoru body CAN do! So important for those of us whose bodies refuse to get pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're doing so great!!! :-) Good for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I'm so impressed. Yeah, you are bad ass! My hubby would think I was a rock star if I could cycle 12 miles after dinner. Maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sore from just reading this! Hope you're watching the Bachelorette and taking it easy today. You deserve a break!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're TOTALLY going to make it! I have no doubt in my mind. I'm so impressed with your dedication and tech-savvy-ness. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.