Wednesday, June 27, 2012

the one that got away

This was almost going to be the best blog ever.

Last night we met Matt's family and some of their friends for dinner at a Chinese restaurant in town. As we pulled into the parking lot we could see that no one else's cars were there yet, so we knew we were the first to arrive-- but as luck would have it, just as we turned in, a Song came on the radio. A blast from the past. A little Bryan Adams (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, anyone? 

Immediately Matt turns the volume up. "OH!!! It has been SO LONG since I've heard this song!!!" And as he turns into a parking spot and puts the car in park, he goes all music-video emotional as he belts out the song at the top of his lungs. SERIOUSLY! My shy, quiet little husband!! Singing Bryan Adams like he's...I dunno, Bryan Adams.

Wanna know the best part? I was already looking at my phone, and in about two seconds flat I had the video camera capturing every eyes-closed, head bobbing, emotion-filled note of Matt's car serenade. He didn't even see me with the phone stuck in his face, so deep was his concentration (and so closed were his eyes). It wasn't until maybe 10 seconds of excellent footage had been locked away that he opened his eyes and realized I was capturing his Moment on camera.

"What??!?!! Is that thing recording??!!" as he frantically turned off the radio and made sad faces for the camera. I'm cackling in the background, RELISHING the thought of sharing this very moment with the whole world right here on this blog. I will RUIN you, Mattie!!!! Everyone thinks you're so soft-spoken and normal....and I will unleash the REAL Matt on them!!! (To be fair, this is only like the second time I've ever seen him sing with this sort of passion...the other time the song was God Bless the USA...so maybe this isn't really his 'true' self, but it's certainly an entertaining one!)

It was awesome, yall. But here's the really sad part. Somewhere in our fistfight frantic struggle for control of my phone, the video got erased. I don't even know how it happened, since it normally takes like 18 steps and a secret handshake to get ANYTHING to erase off that phone, so I can only blame it on a) Matt's supernatural powers, or b) I have the worst luck ever, so it's only natural it should extend to losing out on amazing entertainment opportunities such as this. Whatever is to blame...it is ALL of our loss (losses? weird phrasing...) because that was the most enjoyable 10 seconds of my entire year week.

And even though he's getting away with not having the Most Embarrassing Video Ever posted here today, I refuse to let him completely off the humiliation hook...therefore I will brighten your day with this photo of Matt from his solo "finding himself" backpacking trip across Europe from 2006:

Get 'em, cowboy.

PS. As I was writing this blog, I pulled up the song on YouTube and had it playing. Matt hears the song and his face lights up, only to quickly turn into a glare when he sees me giggling: "Why are you making fun of our song??"  OUR SONG??!?!?! Apparently, after nearly 5 years of marriage, we've decided to have a "song," and it's THIS??! This topic obviously needs to be re-visited at a later date.

8 comments:

  1. I, for one, am a huge fan of that song, and would be an even huge-r fan if I could see/hear Matt singing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unfortunate for us all...though I think you've inspired me to try to get a video of Jonathon's Andrew WK dance, should it ever happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me lol. Here's to wishing the video will reappear just as quick as it vanished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I am dying laughing here! I can't believe the video was erased, that would have been such great entertainment. My hubs is quiet and so soft spoken usually, but occasionally he surprises me with similiar things. It always just cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha that is awesome! But for Matt's sake, I'm glad the video got erased... Wade would die if I posted something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the one that got away. Sadness.

    It also reminds me of the time when my husband and I were at the mall and Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" from Love Actually came on. I started lip-synching it to my husband and of course it starts all slow and drawn out which is hard to lip sync. And my husband hadn't heard the song come on and thought I was having a stroke. Because otherwise why would my lips be moving with no words coming out?!?!?! It totally ruined the romantic moment. But it is a really funny story now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with everyone else I would have loved to have seen that side of Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha! Even though the video was lost, the memory will remain with you forever! I think it is hilarious that he referred to it as "your song." hahahaha:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.