Friday, June 1, 2012

flowers, baskets, and books: my living room

Are you as pumped as I am?? Because it's time for another Kelly's Korner Show us Your Life blog carnival featuring LIVING ROOMS! Woooo!! (This is my imaginary crowd going wild. In my head.)

I'm particularly excited about this living room thing, not because mine is especially amazing or anything, but because I joined up for this same feature almost two years ago. This means you can actually SEE PROGRESS in my decor...and progress is always exciting. I've worked hard on becoming a crafty person over the last year or so, and I'm happy to see that reflected in my decorating choices. So if you'd like to review, here's my "Show us your living room" post from September 2010. Enjoy that blast from the past...and now let's jump straight to the present!


Alright-- I know this technically isn't part of my living room. It's my front door...but since you could choose to go through the front door to get to the living room...you see how I just slid it on in?

 I just made this patriotic wreath last weekend (and talked more in depth about it earlier in the week...sorry for the repeat pic) and am still super proud of it! Therefore I will be showing it off again. You're welcome. 


Alright. Here we go with the serious living room stuff. My decorating goals are as follows: don't look like a furniture store (that is, totally matchy-matchy/boring); reflect the personality and interests of the people who live there; never stop adding to/mixing up/repurposing what you have. I "shop" mainly at yard sales, thrift stores, and clearance aisles. I'm learning to make (craft) the things that I want. My favorite things to look at are flowers, baskets (or anything made of woven stick-like material), my dog, and books. And now I present you with...my living room:

Standing in the master bedroom doorway, looking towards the front door (with totally 'blank' wreath that still needs to be decorated but I have nowhere better to store until the day I get around to that). The archway to the left goes to the guest room, nursery, and bathroom.

Standing in the kitchen archway

Standing at the front door: archway on the left goes to the kitchen; doorway goes to master bedroom

Standing in the guest bathroom archway

I love my totally 70s piano. I grew up playing it in my parents' house and am thrilled to have it again now! Although it gives me lots of surface area to decorate, it's also a lot of places to dust. Which I basically never do, so don't look too closely!

The top of one bookshelf. When you run out of space ON the bookshelves...piles of books serve as nice decor, right?

Our mantel. This was kind of the "last frontier" for me as far as decorating. If you looked at our 2010 pictures-- it was SO empty and boring! And remained that way for quite some time! I've finally embraced the eclectic, layered look for the mantel and I LOVE it. That "B" is kind of random, but I sorta have a nail right there (from a picture that used to be hanging there) and if I pull it out there'll be a hole...and I have no paint to touch up with...so I needed SOMETHING to hang there. That's not quite the right thing, but like I said-- it's a constant, evolving work in progress! The portrait of Lola (our dog) was painted by my sister-in-law's mother, who is an artist. I LOVE IT!

I picked up this adorable little cross stitch at a yard sale a few weeks ago. LOVE it! This is possibly the only thing I own that abides by the "put a bird on it" rule of decorating/life. In general, I am strongly opposed to all forms of birds...but this was too cute to pass up. I'm considering painting the frame a bright color...any ideas?

This is partially to showcase a Pinterest-inspired canvas I made a few months ago and partially to showcase my husband cooking dinner. Hard to know which one is more impressive, right? ;)

A decoupaged "B" on a bookshelf. Perhaps in lieu of put a bird on it, I abide by put a "B" on it. And yes, that is an inch of dust you see on that shelf. Just keepin' it real, folks. At least I picked up the dog toys off the floor for you.

Hydrangeas and milk glass: two of my favorite things. And yup-- those are from my yard!

I couldn't think of any good reasons not to include the hydrangeas in as many pictures as possible. Here's what the fireplace area looks like if you're sitting on the love seat.


I suppose that's all the pictures I'll torture you with for now. In general, I really like our living room...although I am also frequently frustrated by the somewhat awkward layout of it (it's impossible to arrange the major furniture any other way), my inability to really utilize the high ceilings (yet), and I often contemplate painting the walls a totally different color (but probably never will because HELLO that would be a lot of work for a lazy person). 

If you just haven't had enough of my living room yet and/or the summer heat is gettin' to ya, you may want to check out my SUYL: Christmas Decor from this past Christmas. It shows a lot more of my living room (and glimpses of a few other rooms) and let's just be honest: I loved my Christmas mantel this year. Sigh. Only 5 more months, right?

Thanks for stopping by! Have a fantastic weekend!

20 comments:

  1. I love the look of your living room. I also really like the arch of your kitchen entrance. Such a cute touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about your living room is that it looks warm and friendly, just like you! :) Also, I can think of one main thing that is missing: me, sitting on your couch (eating chips and queso)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour of your living room! It's so bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the eclectic look. Do you still play the piano?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your living room. The color is great, I'm drooling over your arched doorways and I hope you participate again next week because I want to see the rest of your adorable house! Btw...you're not the only one who doesn't dust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bad thing about this post is it makes me feel like MY living room is empty and boring now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your living room and the color on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I am new to your blog through Kelly's Korner! I really like your living room and love the "B" initial art you have hanging above your TV. Was it something you made or purchased? If so, where? I'd love a "D" for our living room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your sense of humor. You being the first entry to the living room tour is perfect ! Wish I had your arches in my living room, those are neat. Love your wall color too ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your living room! What part of GA are you from? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. eee! I love that little cross stitch. And just look at all that you have crafted in that room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like how you decorated your mantle and bookcase. I need to take note from that! You have a very comfortable and colorful room. Very nice! I love your piano too. I showed mine in my own post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for inspiring me to go and do something about the horribly plain state of my living room. Love all the crafty layers in yours!

    *That is my comment deleted above. There was a grammar error.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Erika, I came across your blog via Kelly's Korner. I read your fertility struggle and then all 3 parts of your journey to decide to adopt and it was just the most amazing, touching read! I look forward to reading how this journey progresses as I stay tuned to your blog. May God bless you and your husband with that baby He has for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all I love it. And I'm totally with you on the matchy matchy thing. Yuck. And I have never seen that pinterest art done up yet-I'm very impressed and need to do mine asap. Although I did try the yarn wreath last christmas and it was an epic fail. Ben said it looked like a lifeguard floaty device. I need you to make one for me pronto :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like initials are very popular. I've been thinking of purchasing our first initials.
    Love the wreath.
    You're home is beautifully decorated. The mix of colors and textures is wonderful.
    You've done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a beautiful home! I think it's so cool you have your old piano!

    I am a thrifter and yard saler too! That's how you find the best stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the sofa that perfectly blend with the beds you have. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    Beds Perth

    ReplyDelete
  20. wassup mattyerika.blogspot.com blogger found your website via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://traffic-for-your-website.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://traffic-for-your-website.com
    To your success James

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love Mexican food. Seriously.